A Spring of Warmth: Kaguya no Yu | Outdoor Bath, Medicinal Herbal Cooking Niigata Hot Spring Resort

ChikurinEchigono Oyado WAKATAKE

Natural Hot Spring

A Spring of Warmth: Kaguya no Yu

The hot spring opened in the third year of the Gembun era (1738). With over 250 years of tradition, the Yutagami Hot Spring is known for the "Medicinal Water," which has many benefits and is very popular. The open air bath uses natural rocks, and a splendid Japanese garden is harmoniously arranged, giving a somewhat different tasteful sensibility. The source of warmth, Kaguya no Yu, will heal the exhaution from your travels, so be sure to have a relaxing time.

Echigo's famous hot water, boasting over 250 years or tradition.
Reflect on the distant past in the flowing steam.

Moments of silence, of fulfillment, and imagination. Let your heart unwind alongside the gentle flow.

  • A Spring of Warmth: Kaguya no Yu
  • Taketori-no-Yu   Open-Air BathTaketori-no-Yu Open-Air Bath
  • Large BathLarge Bath
  • Takehime-no-Yu    Powder RoomTakehime-no-Yu Powder Room

The History and Effects of Yutagami Hot Spring, the "Drinkable Hot Spring"

  • いにしえのYutagami Hot Spring
  • 飲める温泉

The Yutagami Hot Spring rises up from the foot of Mt. Gomado-yama, overlooking the Echigo Plains. Mt. Gomado-yama was once called Mt. Mitsui-yama, and came to be an important location for mountain worshipers with the construction of 72 temples housing priests.

Pilgrims (Yamabushi) training here (one hypothesis places famous teacher Kobo-Daishi here) burned Homa (ritual wood), which led to the mountain's name change from Mt. Mitsui-yama to Mt. Gomado-yama, and it is said that the Yutagami Hot Spring got its start as a source of healing, used by pilgrims (Yamabushi) in their trainings. Following this, Mt. Gomado-yama was used as a fortress or castle since it was a suitable military location in an era that was ruled by samurai. Many legends and accounts from this era remain.

Yutagami Hot Spring's beginnings date back long ago, and while we cannot now be certain when it opened, by examining ancient documents still in existence, there is an account that the facility received permission to operate as a hot spring resport from the Shibata clan in the third year of the Gembun Era (1738). In addition, it was noted on a "list of hot springs in Japanese regions" issued in the twelfth year of the Meiji Era (1891), alongside over 100 others.

Locally, the hot spring's water is known to be "medicinal water" due to its many benefits, and people practiced the "Ushiyu" custom (soaking in the water on the midsummer day of the ox for a year without disease or disaster). While the spring's well has changed several times over its long history, a new source drilled in Heisei year 10 (1998) is presently used. Bathing in the water is excellent for dermatological, gynecolocical, gastrointestinal, neurological ailments, among others, due to the sodium, chloride, and sulphate contained. Drinking the water is also effective for diabetes, obesity and other issues.